The Fair Trade USA label is an independent, third-party, consumer guarantee that companies have complied with strict economic, social, and environmental criteria for particular products, thereby creating a more equitable and sustainable trade system for producers.
The principal criteria of Fair Trade certification are:
- Direct trade with farmer organizations, bypassing unnecessary middlemen,
- Fair prices for farmers, and decent working and living conditions for workers,
- Free association of workers/farmers, with structures for democratic decision-making,
- Access to pre-financing, and additional premiums for community and business development, and
- Sustainable agricultural and farm management practices, including restricted use of agrochemicals and no GMOs.