Over the years, manufacturing became more complex and the range of packaged natural products grew. As a result, the term clean foods emerged, encompassing the standards set out in whole, natural, and organic foods.
- No artificial preservatives, sweeteners, colors, flavors, synthetic pesticides, fungicides, drug residues, or growth hormones.
- May include such products as water without bacteria and chemicals or poultry without antibiotics or cattle without rBGH.
- No irradiation, ripening agents, or fumigants. Not bleached or bromated.
- Processed, packaged, transported, and stored to retain maximum nutritional value and positive environmental impact.
- Processed so it might be picked at the peak of ripeness and flavor and transported with freshness in mind.
- The handling of clean foods may include refrigerated storage and transportation and recycled or recyclable packaging materials.